Best Albums 2012

It was an interesting year for me in relation to albums.

Most of the time I have a pretty good idea which albums will be in my top 10 as soon as I hear them. My choice for #1 and #2 were the only ones I felt that way about. I had a lot of albums I liked this year but not that many that I loved. I normally wouldn't include a short EP in this Best of List but this year I felt two warranted recognition. Strange year.

I'll say one thing about this list: It sure is diverse.

Americana is the type of genre that's hard to pigeonhole, and I happen to enjoy exploiting that fact. From the rocking album from Heartless Bastards to the western swing of Doug Moreland, from the sparse alternative sound of Bahamas to the old time ring of Old Man Luedecke, this year's list has the diversity of the genre covered.

Thanks for tuning in this year.

Join me for next week's show where we'll start to build our Best of 2013 list.




#1 Twisted Whistle - Through The Mill




#2 Bahamas - Barchords




#3 AJ Downing - Good Day




#4 Scott Chism & The Better Half - Long Haul Steady




#5 Rayland Baxter - Feathers & Fishooks




#6 Lyle Lovett - Release Me




#7 The James Low Western Front - Whiskey Farmer




#8 Heartless Bastards - Arrow




#9 The Honeycutters - When Bitter Met Sweet




#10 Craig Finn - Clear Heart Full Eyes




#11 Derek Hoke - Waiting All Night




#12 Justin Townes Earle - Nothings Gonna Change The Way You Feel About Me Now




#13 Mike + Ruthy - The NYC EP




#14 The Wandering - Go On Now, You Can't Stay Here




#15 Black Prairie - A Tear In The Eye Is A Wound In The Heart




#16 Old Man Luedecke - Tender Is The Night




#17 Jeffrey Martin - Build A Home EP




#18 Doug Moreland - The Flying Armadillos




#19 Leftover Salmon - Aquatic Hitchhiker




#20 Iris Dement - Sing The Delta

1 comment:

Jim Desmond said...

Shotgun, great list. Thanks for posting at When You Motor Away blog and tipping me off to this site. Good stuff.