Tupelo Honey Playlist 2/28/12


"It's a fine line between stupid and clever." Not really but it makes a good Spinal Tap quote. I hate to admit this but there's an awful lot of stupid songs that I really love. I freely admit to being a melody junky. It's melody that gets me first. If I find myself toe-tapping and diggin' the rhythm I'm hooked. If I then find myself listening to dumb lyrics - well, let's just say I cut a lot of slack.

Tonight I played a classic example of this. Rod Picott's "Kerosene" might be as stupid a song can be. However I love it. Eveytime I hear it the rhythm junky in me takes over. 

Do you have a stupid song that you know is lame yet you love to hear? Email me your tune, I'd love to know I'm not the only guilty party. shotgunmajors@gmail.com

Till Next Week
Ciao


Artist - Song - Album


5pm
Dave Alvin - Beautiful City 'Cross the River - Beautiful City 'Cross the River: Single
The Dexateens - Altar Blues - Lost and Found
Carrie Rodriguez - Eyes on the Prize - Love and Circumstance
Jon Byrd - Alabama Asphalt - Down At The Well Of Wishes
Rosie Flores - Big River - Dressed In Black: A Tribute to Johnny Cash
Blue Mountain - Hippy Hotel - Dog Days
The Yawpers - Angel Wings - Savage Blue EP
The Lowlands - Pack of Seeds - The Lowlands
Los Lobos - Revolution - Colossal Head
The Byron Dowd Band - One Hill - The Bryron Dowd Band
James McMurtry & Joe Ely - Slew Foot - Childish Things
Gretchen Peters - Paradise Found - Hello Cruel World
Keith Christopher - Precious - 2008 Doublenaught Records Sampler


6pm
Mofro - Lochloosa - Lochloosa
Bap Kennedy - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - Lonely Street
k.d. lang - Luck In My Eyes - Absolute Torch and Twang
Otis Gibbs - Don't Worry Kid - Harder Than Hammered Hell
Amos Lee - Say Goodbye - As The Crow Flies
Rod Picott - Kerosene - Girl from Arkansas
Uncle Tupelo - The Long Cut - Anodyne
Michelle Malone - Restraining Order Blues - Debris
Turn 4 - Tennessee Rain - What You Do About It
The Far West - Nothing Like You - The Far West
John Prine - Lake Marie - Lost Dogs + Mixed Blessings
Kory Quinn and the Comrades - $2000 Song - Angels and Outlaws
Redbird I Gotta Get Drunk Redbird
Tommy Womack - I Love You To Pieces -  Now What

1 comment:

Adam Perry said...

Hey, thanks for playing the Yawpers yesterday. More info at theyawpers.com