Tupelo Honey Playlist 4/5/11

Before I started doing a radio show I, with a few exceptions, hated covers. Every time I'd hear one I'd pine for the original. This was especially true if it was just a straight ahead cover and didn't offer anything new to the tune.

I don't know what happened but lately I've become obsessed with covers. I still favor the ones that bend the genre from the original or have a different take like tempo or accompaniment.

This week I played some really good ones. The top spot has to be Gillian Welch covering the Radiohead tune "Black Star." Also noteworthy was Mason Porter doing The White Stripes "Hotel Yorba," and Buddy Miller and Lee Ann Womack doing the Guy Lombardo/Marty Robbins song "Return to Me."

I'll be out of town for a few weeks so won't be on the air until the 26th. Tupelo Honey will be in the capable hands of Big Tim Little and Mike Meyers. See you in a few weeks.

Ciao


Song - Artist - Album

5pm
These August Days - The Small Ponds - The Small Ponds
Go-Go Boots - Drive-By Truckers - Go-Go Boots
Levelland - James McMurtry - Where'd You Hide the Body
Hotel Yorba - Mason Porter - Story Of The Rifle
Twelve - Elephant Revival - Elephant Revival
Black Star - Gillian Welch - Black Star EP
Ma Mere - G. Love - Fixin' To Die
One Foot In The Grave - Head For The Hills - Head For The Hills
Fast Enough - Sally Jaye - Fast Enough single
Motor City - Randy Weeks - Madeline
Jaded Lover - Jerry Jeff Walker - Ultimate Collection: Jerry Jeff Walker
Spare Me - Caitlin Rose - Own Side Now
Watering Hole - The Apache Relay - American Nomad

6pm
Davy Brown - Ben Nichols - The Last Pale Light In the West
Return To Me - Buddy Miller;Lee Ann Womack - The Majestic Silver Strings
The Truck Got Stuck - Corb Lund - Hair In My Eyes Like a Highland Steer
River Too Wide - Matt Ellis - Births, Deaths & Marriages
Ain't My Fault - The Black Lillies - 100 Miles Of Wreckage
Blue - The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass
I Used to Call My Heart a Home - Zoe Muth - Zoe Muth & The Lost High Rollers
Dreams - Yonder Mountain String Band - The Show
I Got You (At The End Of The Century) - Wilco - Being There
Snowflakes In Your Summer Hair - Pete Sinjin - Better Angels Radio
Older In My Body - Possessed By Paul James - Feed the Family
Mercy Now - Mary Gauthier - Mercy Now

No comments: