Tupelo Honey Playlist 8/18/09

So Bob Weir and his current band Rat Dog are in town, why should an americana buff care? That's what I thought until I noticed his opening act is Jackie Greene. Wow. That's almost enough to make me get up off the couch. However, I'm still not convinced its worth going considering Jackie isn't the headliner, you know what I mean? Short set, uninterested crowd, less excitement from the band. OK, I'm not going, but....

Rat Dog's lead guitarist Mark Karan has his first solo album out. It's not just good, its spectacular. Long desired as a studio musician, Karan's solo CD is an impressive blend of Blues, Southern Rock, Jam Band and Country. The question is: Will Karan be playing his new tunes or just doing the Rat Dog thing? If they let him play his music without turning it into a jam band free for all, I'm definitely off the couch. Will someone please call the promoter for me and find out for me whether I'm having a night of reruns or great americana?

Till Next Week
Ciao

Song - Artist - Album

5pm
Positive Friction - Donna the Buffalo - Positive Friction
Long Hot Summer Days - Sara Watkins - Sara Watkins
Singing Joy To The World - Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band
Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash - Unearthed
Through The Door - Bob Harp - Collecting Dust
Lift Your Leg - Joe Ely - The Man Of Somebody's Dreams: A Tribute to the Songs of Chris Gaffney
Third Rate Romance - Damon Fowler - Sugar Shack
Honey I Been Thinking About You - Jackie Greene - Sweet Somewhere Bound
I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
Precious - Keith Christopher - n/a
Visit Me in Music City - Bobby Bare Jr. - From the End of Your Leash
Please, Please Baby - Dwight Yoakam - dwightyoakamacoustic.net
We Tried To Tell You - Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys - Swingin' West
Deputy Blues No. 2 - The Sweetback Sisters - Chicken Ain't Chicken

6pm
Close Every Valve To Your Bleeding Heart - Ha Ha Tonka - Novel Sounds Of The Nouveau South
When I Go Away - Levon Helm - Electric Dirt
About Cell Block #9 - Jackie Greene - Sweet Somewhere Bound
$5 In Hand - Josh Small - Tall By Josh Small
Lay Your Burdens Down - Public House Orchestra - N/A
Water In The Ground - Catherine MacLellan - Water In The Ground
Tragedy - Damien Jurado - Rehearsals for Departure
Easy Wind - Mark Karan - Walk Through The Fire
Family Reunion - Corb Lund - Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier!
Mostly Water - Bap Kennedy - Domestic Blues
Lonesome Tremolo Blues - The Pines - Tremolo
Let's Kill Saturday Night - Robbie Fulks - Let's Kill Saturday Night
When You're Gone - Lucero - Tennessee
Glass To You - Those Darlins - Those Darlins


No comments: