Tupelo Honey Playlist 5/19/09

Every DJ has their own idea of how to program an americana show. For me, I don't like to play too many new tunes because I'm aware that the listener hasn't heard them before. For us DJ's the idea of listening to two hours of new music sounds like a perfect evening, but a listener wants something they can easily digest. Granted they listen to hear new music also, but there needs to be a balance. So I try to keep new music to 1/3 or less of every show.

Well, that's getting hard to do. There's so much incredible new music, all of it completely worthy of radio play, that to not play it is beginning to feel like a sin. I'll wrestle with this conundrum and report back. That 33% might be more like 50% real soon. What a great problem to have. I love this genre!

Till Next Week,
Ciao

Song - Artist - Album

5pm
Go On Home - Chris Knight - Heart of Stone
Remember My Name - Jon Snodgrass - Visitor's Band
Me and Billy the Kid - Joe Ely - Live at Antone's
When That Evening Sun Goes Down - Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Devils In Boston - Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers - Songs In The Night

Poison Trees - The Devil Makes Three - Do Wrong Right
13 Steps - The Midnight Screening - Chasing Vincent Wolf

Ophelia - Jim Byrnes - My Walking Stick
Love Me Blue - Ian McFeron - Love Me Blue
Minnesota Weather Map - Macon Greyson - 20th Century Accidents
The Way That It Swings - Bow Thayer w/ Levon Helmm - Spend It All
Come On Baby - Shannon Whitworth - No Expectations
Murder in the City - The Avett Brothers - The Second Gleam

6pm
Restraining Order Blues - Michelle Malone - Debris
Can't Find My Way Home - Gina Villalobos - Can't Find My Way Home
Trip Around the Sun - Stephen Bruton - Nothing But the Truth
A Girl Can Dream - Melissa McClelland - Victoria Day
Jet Pilot - Son Volt - Free Form Radio Advance
The American in Me - Steve Forbert - Rock While I Can Rock
My Old Friend - Zoe Muth - N/A
Charlemagne - Dexateens - Singlewide
Lord Won't You Help Me - Sara Watkins - Sara Watkins
7th Wheel - Tim Easton - Porcupine
Hammer and a Nail - Indigo Girls - Nomads Indians Saints
A Good Day To Die - William Elliott Whitmore - Animals In The Dark
Car Seat (Album Version) - Two Tons of Steel - Texas Unplugged, Vol. 2
Roll, Brandywine, Roll - Hoots & Hellmouth - The Holy Open Secret



1 comment:

S Foley said...

My peace came when I realized that I defined my show as a cutting-edge look at what's new in our genre. If I called it a comfortable jaunt through the familiar history of americana, it'd be a different show. This way, I'm not doing my job if I'm not focusing on the horizon. If you're looking for a set of Lovett, Lucinda and Earle, you might be on the wrong channel. It's the old "everything to everybody" argument. ~ Scott