Tupelo Honey Playlist 2/10/09

Well I have my first nominee for "song of the year:" It's Samantha Crain's "Devils in Boston." I remember reviewing her first album at about this time last year. I thought she was really close to being fantastic but the album was a bit too dark. She proved me right. Her new CD "Songs in the Night" is absolutely worth owning. I think she might very well be on her way to being a household name.

All kinds of other noteworthy new releases: Ben Kweller' "Changing Horses" is as americana as I've heard him. The Deep Vibration's "Veracruz" is that lovely mix of hard driving indie rock sprinkled with americana flavor. Mark Olson and Gary Louris' "Ready for the Flood" is, in my opinion, the best thing they've ever done together. Boris McCutcheon, The Stone Coyotes and Slimfit have already got my praise but are worth listening too and mentioning again. And, last but not least, The Tara Stonecipher Band... She doesn't have a CD out but you can see her playing around Eugene.

Till Next Week

Ciao

Song - Artist - Album

5pm
Remember the Words - Slimfit - Make It Worse
Doves And Stones - Mark Olson & Gary Louris - Ready For The Flood
I Can Make You Happy - Taj Mahal - Maestro
I Long (Then I'm Gone) - Boris Mccutcheon & The Saltlicks - Bad Road, Good People
Gamblin' Soul - The Lowlands - The Lowlands
Fan It (w/Asleep At The Wheel) - Willie Nelson - Willie And The Wheel
Wantin' Her Again - Ben Kweller - Changing Horses
Denial - The Tara Stonecipher Band - N/A
Jesus & James Dean - Charlie Shafter Band - 17th & Chicago
Back Where I Started - The Derek Trucks Band - Already Free
Thanks To You - The Deep Vibration - Veracruz
Girl with the Dirty Hair - Adam Carroll - Lookin' Out the Screen Door
Trouble In Mind - Jorma Kaukonen - River Of Time
The Story I Heard - Blind Pilot - 3 Rounds and a Sound

6pm
Skin Muscle Bone - Kym Tuvim - Nothing, Sweet Nothing
Busting Up a Starbucks - Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
Beer Run - Todd Snider - Near Truths and Hotel Rooms Live
Second Option - Caitlin Cary - Begonias
Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash - Unearthed (Box Set)
Not Right Now - The Stone Coyotes - VIII
Yuma - Justin Townes Earle - Yuma EP
Far from Home - Neil Young - Prairie Wind
Devils In Boston - Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers - Songs In The Night
Back to Jackson - Jason Eady & The Wayward Apostles - Wild Eyed Serenade
Always A Friend - Alejandro Escovedo - Real Animal
Buckets of Rain - The Wood Brothers - Loaded
Drinkin' Blues - Wayne Hancock - Tulsa
She Don't Care - Bruce Robison - The New World

1 comment:

S Foley said...

Scott ~

While it didn't have the immediate "wow!" impact of the EP, I share your love of Samantha Crain's first full length album. And while it took a couple of plays, the Olson and Louris release has grown on me as well. Heard North Twin yet? Got to tune in for about half the show ~ great stuff.

Scott F